Thursday, October 18, 2012

It's Sewing Season! An argument for simplicity

I've had a vision for a while of a decent sized day pack that isn't covered in straps and buckles. I really am not a fan of what packs have become. Most manufacturers try to jam as many features as possible into every pack. Like this:



Others stretch the imagination and the boundaries of design:



And others totally succeed at making a beautiful, simple pack:

This is Blue Ice, out of Chamonix, France. Nice pack.



Well, I decided to put my sewing machine where my mouth is and try to come up with something both original and simple. This is what I came up with:


Inspired by big-wall haul bags.

2 carry handles, 2 Shoulder straps, huge open top for swallowing  whatever you're carrying.


Doubles as a shoulder bag




I see all sorts of room for improvement. I'm calling this one Prototype II. I'll be putting up more pics of the actual construction of the pack, as I make the next version.

Also, feel free to check out my Etsy store.






1 comment:

Amanda said...

I too love simplicity! Your brother and I are huge fans of Herschel because of that reason. I do love your prototype, the straps doubling it as a backpack or shoulder bag are brilliant. I do hate the colors. Great job Levi!!